You will no longer receive e-mail notifications from this forum.
Log-In to post
These people make Toad Data Modeler Beta Program great and have the most points for this month!
I'm pleased to announce new release of Toad Data Modeler BETA 5.2.3!
Except for a couple of bug fixes, this BETA release brings lots of improvements and changes in GUI. I'm sure you already noticed some of them in previous Beta, e.g. new lines... Nevertheless, let me announce them officialy and point your attention to them. Here's a brief list of enhancements:* Export, Import Microsoft Excel - Export/Import feature is available for active data model and the resulting XLSX file includes individual worksheets for Entities, Attributes, Relationships and Data Types for the model. There, you can add comments and notes and modify or specify other properties. The modified Excel file can be imported back to Toad Data Modeler.
To export your model:Select File | Export | Export to Excel…
To import the data back to Toad Data Modeler:Select File | Import | Import from Excel…
* New Relationship Lines Management SystemLines are right-angled only. You can move them and their parts as you need (vertically and horizontally). Anchor points are no longer fixed on entity boxes but you can alter them as you need (column to column alignment is possible now). You can add handle points (press CTRL) and this way you can select parts of line you need to delete or move.
* Snap to Objects - automatic align among objects on the workspace.When you move an object on the workspace (e.g. entity or relationship line), a light blue line will display and you will be able to align the object to other objects in ERD easily.The Snap to Objects option is on by default - see the new icon on the toolbar or Settings | Options | Graphics. There, you can turn this function off. To turn it off for a particular moment while working in your ERD, press and hold ALT Key.
* Import and Export Settings defined in the Options dialog - This option allows you to import/export the settings (particularly helpful for already defined paths) e.g. for side by side installation of TDM or to/from TDM on another PC. Also, you can restore the default settings easily. See the new buttons in the Options dialog.
* Possibility to hide Not Null and Key Marks (Object Format dialog | Entity tab) * Go to Parent, Go to Child right-click options for relationships* Button Add Workspace beside Tabs* Possibility to close X every workspaceetc.
So, do not hesitate to explore and test these new great features. We can't wait for your feedback and other suggestions (even those that might appear to be unimportant or little).Happy modeling with TDM! :)
Vladka and TDM Team
the Export/Import function to and from Excel has a bug which is acknowledged by the developers ( http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-data-modeler/f/30/t/23520.aspx ) and fixed in the BETA version. After downloading and installing the BETA version I was able to use it for two days and now the application refuses to start and quits with the message:
"Beta version has expired. Please download the latest beta version from http://modeling.inside.quest.com"
So far I tried uninstalling and installing BETA version again, nevertheless without success.
Is there a workaround to have the BETA Version working again?
Your support is highly appreciated.
Hi our BETA users,
New Toad Data Modeler 5.4.5 BETA has just been made available for you!
Please, DOWNLOAD, try the new stuff and LET US KNOW!
Lukas & TDM Team
Can someone please confirm that Postgres is not supported as the documentation indicates?
Currently an order of the object's generation for Postgresql is incorrect. I work with Postgresql 9.2 but the same issue will exist for other versions. The roles are generated almost at the end of the script, but schema is generated at the very beginning. The problem is that schema may require an authorization associated with the role like
CREATE SCHEMA "test_schema" AUTHORIZATION "test_application_admin"
This statement will fail because role "test_application_admin" wasn't yet created. I suggest to create roles first, but to leave a section that grants permissions to the roles at the end of the DDL script.
The second problem is that script tries to create without pre-existence check even standard and pre-defined schemas and roles like
CREATE SCHEMA "public" AUTHORIZATION "postgres";
CREATE SCHEMA "pg_catalog";
CREATE ROLE "postgres" LOGIN;
These statements will just generate error messages.
Anyone know how to get OUT of the full screen mode in 3.6 data modeler? Nothing seems to work, tried escape, tried all the options when right clicking, tried function buttons. 10 years of data modeler and this tool frustrates me to know end!
Thank you for adding new data types (daterange etc.)
What I do miss:
EXTERNAL storage parameter for columns, e.g. ALTER TABLE "public"."t1" ALTER COLUMN "col1" SET STORAGE EXTERNAL
In Entity Properties in SQL Preview parser considers key words inside comments. As you can see on the attached picture the from word is analyzed inside a text constant, and collapse nodes were added due to this bug.
I don't see any logic in how TDM adds collapse nodes for SQL text. The correct behavior for the same text can be observed in Notepad++ :
It may be by design, but I think it should be a configurable option at least. After all you can remove a graphical symbol of an entity from "All Items" work space, so why then mandatory add all new entities created in other work spaces to "All Items"?
It will be nice to be able to see only objects (entities, functions etc.) only from selected schemas. Currently all functions, for example, are in one list even if they belong to the different schemas. It should be very useful for all databases that have concept of a schema.
It would be nice to add a filter to Verification Log for a model at least for warnings.
Sometimes it makes sense to create tables without PK for example, and for them I want to create an exception list in the Verification Log for a model. The new tables should be warned against until they are manually added to the ''please don't warn me about them'' list.
It is akin how it is done for Windows updates for example. If you want to ignore some particulare update you can 'hide' it so it will not pop-up every time.
Not sure if this is the right way to post some bugs found in the Beta version (or potentially exist in the current one), please let me know if I'm missusing this forum:
* On changing foreign key to not-null in entity properties, it should reflect in the relationship as ‘parent mandatory’, and vice versa. It works only if you set parent mandatory and gets reflected as not null, but all other permutations of change doesn’t work i.e. setting it not null doesn’t reflect as parent not mandatory ..etc.